PSEO or Plain? A full-time PSEO student’s perspective.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Tyler Wacker

Selecting courses for high-school is a difficult task. Students can take many classes from high school, such as History and English classes or Pre-Calculus, or none. You could embrace a new form of classes through PSEO. The Postsecondary Enrollment Options program allows students to take college level courses in college, with a high-school middle man. The program can provide an education that meets all requirements, earning scholars all the necessary high school credits, while also giving you a chance to experience college.

Many scholars are beginning to sign up. Connor Walters is one such student. Connor is a Junior at MWHS who specializes in technology related courses, showing his prowess as the captain of the robotics team. Just this year, he’s become a full time PSEO student. Connor stated, “The selection of classes at the U of M is widely different, and you have a lot more elective options. There’s a lot of different teaching styles.” This has lead Connor to also quote “I really prefer the atmosphere over the high school atmosphere. I think it’s very open and free.” He appreciates the openness and potential for his learning to be more, now that he has heightened control over it.

PSEO showcases the ability to provide an open environment that encourages learning, at at least the same, if not at further developed rates than at the high school. During our conversation about the atmosphere of both environments, Connor said, “It definitely has had a really positive impact, where I’m able to focus on less classes, but in each class, I’m learning more in a shorter amount of time, where I have longer classes.” Connor is able to learn both at an accelerated rate, but also in a more focused manner, grasping concepts faster than he would at a high school.

At this point, if the program seems too overwhelming, know that the steps that are taken towards PSEO are achievable. “Talking to a guidance counselor is probably the first and foremost step. They can help you decide whether or not it’s right for you. I’d say that’s the first and only  major step you need to take. After that it’s a lot of applications filling out and then, it just depends on how the colleges will accept you.” While Connor was set up to be a great candidate from the beginning, having high grades and good positions in his electives, it was his willingness to reach out and accept help and guidance that landed him a position at his college.

While this program is most certainly a case by case basis, and not every student will be cut out for the program, that’s okay, however, the program does have the potential to improve your education.