Road Less Taken

Lilly Johnson, Staff Writer

School is now canceled and students will continue doing online classes, but this hasn’t stopped MWHS seniors from getting ready for college and making a big decision. May 1st was national college decision day.  Here is a look at a few seniors and their choices

Senior, Kate McGown decided she will attend The University of Kentucky, a public college that is located in the city of Lexington. The campus spans 916 acres of land. It is also ranked the 31st Best College in the south. Kate said her main reason for attending the college is her love for the equestrian program. Before choosing the University of Kentucky, Kate also looked at going to The University of Minnesota, but decided against it because they were lacking event programming. She said the most exciting part for her is to finally bring her horses with her and compete at the Kentucky horse park. Kate will be studying biomedical engineering and she can’t wait to meet other people who love the program as much as she does.

Bailey Kahmeyer is another senior at MWHS that will be taking a different road to college. Bailey will be attending San Diego State University, located in sunny California. San Diego State is a public college standing on 288 arches of land right in the cities. Bailey says she can’t wait to meet new people and experience life outside of Minnesota. She also considered attending University of Minnesota Twin Cities, but decided San Diego State would be a better option for her. The three major pros were the location it is close to the beach, the campus is a lot smaller and the education.  Bailey was accepted into the honors program and will have smaller size classes which is very beneficial. With a major in neuroscience, Bailey says she can’t wait to move to California and to experience something different than her normal life.

The last senior we want to profile is Megan Stacy. Megan will be attending The University of South Florida and will be majoring in Environmental Science and Sustainability.  Located in the city of Tampa, the college was formed in 1956 and sits on an urban location that spans 1562 arches of land. Megan says that she always knew that she wanted to attend school in Florida, so she only looked at colleges in Florida.  She also looked at Flagler where her sister is attending, but decided it was too small.  The other options she explored also didn’t feel they were the right fit.  “USF has always been a dream school for me, I toured it a while ago and fell in love with the campus and its environment.” Megan can’t wait to meet new people while living in the dorms and by joining a sorority. She says one of the biggest pros is being tan all year long and not having to deal with any snow. Though she will miss the four seasons and watching the Hawketts perform. Megan is still excited to continue the trend of her family, who have all attended college in Florida, and staying close to her parents who are also moving to the state.

These three MWHS seniors have decided to take the road less traveled when it comes to their college choices, and like Robert Frost we believe this decision will make all the difference in their future.